SEO Expert’s Guide to Check Negative SEO
Before Google introduced its Disavow tool under the Google Search Console (hitherto known as Webmaster tools) which are exclusively crafted SEO tools, Black Hat SEO and Negative SEO took place on a large scale all over the internet. Black Hat SEO refers to the use of deceptive, unfair and unethical means to improve one’s website SEO. Negative SEO too is the use of unethical means like Black Hat SEO, but it is done to destroy competitor’s ranking on Search Engine Results Page (SERP).
While Black Hat SEO has considerably been controlled since the introduction of the Disavow tool in October 2012, Negative SEO continues to be a pain for all Business websites trying to flourish in Digital marketing.
As SEO Marketers, it is your responsibility to ensure that you safeguard your client’s website from all the threats of Negative SEO to the maximum possible extent. But before that, it is important to have an in-depth understanding of various aspects of Negative SEO and its implications for your website.
Negative SEO and its impact on your Client’s Website’s SERP rankings
When your client’s business is operational in an industry where there is cut-throat competition amongst a lot of competitors, it is obvious that some of those competitors shall use mean minded unethical tactics to emerge number one in the industry. The same principle applies to Digital marketing industry as well. There are millions of websites fighting for a top spot on Google’s SERPs and some of the perverse international websites resort to ethically unfair tactics to destroy other websites’ rankings instead of improving their rankings.
Your client’s website can also be one of the victims of such malicious Negative SEO tactics. To safeguard your digital marketing campaign, you can also hide certain expert SEO company services. For instance, if your client’s business is operational in Australia and you want your SEO campaign safe from negative SEO, then you can use the services of SEO Marketer SEO Adelaide company.
Negative SEO Tactics to look out for
Following are some of the Negative SEO tactics and their impact on your client’s business website:
- Hacking into your client’s website and carrying out various activities which violate Google algorithms to drop your client’s rankings organically.
- Closely observing your client’s website content and replicating it on various other websites as well to divert your traffic and thereby your client’s rankings.
- Placing many spam inbound links on your client’s website which discourages users that visit the website, attracts Google’s attention to penalizing the website for spam, and ultimately destroys your SEO campaign.
- Manipulating and destroying all the precious Backlinks to your client’s website which are the core reason to draw organic traffic for your website.
- Creating Fake profiles of your client’s business across different social media platforms and posting undesirable content to destroy your business’ online image.
- Creating unwanted outbound spam links on other websites that direct users to your client’s website.
What Can SEO Marketers do to Combat Negative SEO?
To safeguard the client’s website, it is essential for you to know various online tools and solutions available against Negative SEO. Following are some of the available online solutions that you can use for maximum protection against Negative SEO:
- Protect The Best Backlinks: Competitors try to remove your client’s best backlinks existent on other business websites. They communicate with Google Search Console using your client’s false identity email address and request them to remove the important backlinks. To avoid this from happening, while first communicating with Google Search Console, you have to use an email address having your client’s website domain. Thus, thereafter your email address will be a sign of your authorisation and will help Google to know which mail is fraudulent and which one is genuine. Also, another way of protecting your client’s backlinks is by sorting all the backlinks on the basis of recent social activity or the page rank and then regularly checking the status of these sorted backlinks to ensure all of them are existent.
- Eliminate Unwanted Spam Backlinks: Some competitors also build loads of backlinks to your client’s website but redirected from undesirable pages and defaming keywords. To eliminate such backlinks, you can use Ahrefs, which is a backlinks checker tool. Using this tool, you can regularly check the profile of your known backlinks and can thereby eliminate any unwanted spam backlinks.
- Register for Email Alerts from Google Webmaster Tools: Register your client’s website with Google Webmaster tools for regular email alerts. Google provides you with regular alerts related to activities on the website using you can easily block all hackers attempts to hack the website. Also, other important alerts include notifying you if there are any unindexed pages on the website; if there is any server connectivity related problems with your client’s website, etc.
- Regular Monitoring online for Duplicate Content: Most of the cases of Negative SEO involve copy-pasting of rival’s website content on bulk websites to bring the rival into trouble. This is because Google Algorithms strictly prohibit content duplication and those guilty are heavily penalized for it; in some cases, even their websites are suspended. If you want to ensure your client’s website content isn’t duplicated, you can use online content scanning tools that search for identical content. Once you find such copied websites, you can then report them to Google Search Console which takes action on it.
- Review Social Media platforms: You must also regularly review all the social media platforms to find if there are any mentions of your client’s business or website without permission, which can have a negative impact on the online image of the business. This will help you to maintain a clean and positive online image of your client’s business.
Conclusion – Protection from Negative SEO
As SEO marketers, you have to safeguard your client’s website from Negative SEO. Negative SEO involves demolition of competitor’s online existence by intentionally destroying his SERP ranking. It is done using many unethical ways like bombarding competitor’s website with thousands of Spam inbound links, hacking competitor’s website, Defaming competitor’s online image by creating fake social media profiles, Copy pasting competitor’s website content on several dummy websites, etc.
All these cheap unethical tactics land your client’s website in all sorts of trouble hampering your SEO campaign as well. To avoid this, you can take certain precautionary steps and use certain tools available. For instance, you can use Google’s Webmasters tools for regular email alerts to get notified about any unusual activity on your website and thereby control it.